Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Online review of "how-to" videos for Blender

Hi Everyone,

I'm just starting to get into 3D Animation. Although I love animation and anime, I had never really wanted to get involved with this medium. (I much rather get into designing and developing comic books.) But, recently, clients have been requesting some degree of animation. Now, I have experience and background (20+ years) in multimedia, so I've had my hands full for a while. So, now I've begun my newest adventure in 3D Animation and Video Game Design - I'm actually looking forward to this!

I know I'm supposed to review 2 online "how-to" video tutorials and post, but I've been working on creating text that turns into liquid in Blender and in order to pull this effect off, I had 4 tutorials to help me create the effect.

The Tuts are:

[A]
YouTube - how-to create liquid in blender
"Liquid Simulation Blender Tutorial" (Blender v:2.44)


This is the video that started it all with my approach to having text turn into liquid. Although highly informative, the audio quality is not the greatest but still clear enough to understand the instructions. Video quality is average-to-low. Meaning, that while you can see what he is doing on the [small] screen, the screen becomes somewhat blurred when you switch to full screen mode. Also, note that he is using version 2.44 and that there will be a button or two that will lead you somewhere else in version 2.49b.

My issue with this video is that it is longer than it needs to be. Simply put, he could have edited out some errors that we the viewers have to painfully sit through and therefore attract more viewers. Please see Tutorials C & D as they are EXTREMELY much shorter (and faster) at getting to the point.

I must say, though, this video is a great starting point for creating objects that turn into liquid. Mastering this technique first will help to go to the next level.

Running Time: 14:06



[B]
YouTube - how-to create text in blender 2.49b
"Ira Krakow's Text Objects Blender 2.49b Tutorial"


Ira has a clear professional approach to instruction. The quality of the audio is crisp and clear at all times. Video quality is also high, which works great when you go to a full screen.

If you want to learn how-to work with text, then this video will demonstrate many aspects of working with text. Some of the items covered include: Adding Text; Extruding & Beveling; Text follows Path; Selecting a different Font; Adding Color to Text; Adding Color to different parts of Text; and more.

I strongly suggest subscribing to the "Ira Krakow" channel as he is one of the first to post tutorials for the newest version of Blender 2.5.

Running Time: 10:00



[C]
YouTube - how-to make text into a mesh in blender
"Blender 2.48 - Convert text to fluid simulation" (Blender v:2.48)


Sharp video quality allows you to go full screen, however, there is no audio. This video is not for the faint of heart since it flies through the procedures that will eventually allow you turn text into liquid.

It's a good idea to just watch the video several times prior to attempting to create this simulation.

Careful attention should be paid to this since the instructor is using an older version of Blender - version 2.48.

Running Time: 1:27



[D]
YouTube - how to create liquid in blender
"Blender Tutorials (General) - Fluid Animation basics"


Here is another video that is not for the faint of heart. With a running time of only 2-minutes and 28-seconds, this video takes you through the paces of creating and object and assigning it as a "fluid" item within an enclosure that is designated as the "domain" in which the action will take place.

I recommend viewing this several times before attempting to re-create since there is absolutely no audio to lead you along. The video quality is very good and switch to HD sharpens the picture that much more. For a more detailed approach as well as a slower pace, please see Tutorial A above.

Running Time: 2:28



As you can see, I had to figure out where to mash-up the videos in order to get the end results. My workflow began with establishing the "domain" or container for the liquid, then inserting an object. In my case the object was "text". The trick here was to convert the "text" into a "mesh" so I can then assign it as a "fluid" item otherwise, it could not be assigned. The rest of the procedure is explained in the videos above.

Well folks, I hope this entry helps.

Til next time...you've been Teknolized!

-VegaDMS

No comments:

Post a Comment